When the kids sprout their adult wings and fly the coop, it can create some unsettling and strong emotions. Without all the commotion in the house, it can make your home feel too quiet. So while you’re excited for them and their next adventure, you’re probably wondering what to do with all the space. If you have a recently empty nest and want to get rid of some junk, call ABC Junk Removal & Hauling. Here are five of our favorite tips for all you empty nesters.
1. Do What Feels RightThe end of daily parenting activities can be a little strange and overwhelming. For some people, organizing their empty nest happens gradually over the course of years, while others dive right into it. Both are completely normal and healthy responses to children leaving home. Just do what feels right for you, and you can’t go wrong.
2. Secure MemoriesIf you know you tend to hang onto things because of the kids, now’s the time to secure those memories. As you organize each room, give yourself time to decide what you want to keep and what you don’t. You might also ask your kids what they would like to keep from their old rooms, or if there is anything meaningful they’d like to take with them.
3. Consider DownsizingParents with multiple children now grown and out of the house often consider downsizing. If this is your course of action, make sure you devise a plan. You should also start decluttering the attic and that storage closet beneath the stairs early in the process. Organizing and decluttering, room by room, will make downsizing that much easier.
4. Hire a ProfessionalIf you can’t seem to get organized and declutter your home after the kids leave, then it’s time to hire a professional organizer. These pros can help you determine what to keep, sell, donate, or toss with an unattached viewpoint.
5. Invest in YourselfWith more time and room on your hands, now’s the time to invest in yourself. Maybe you want to turn the garage into a workout studio. Or perhaps you want to take the basement and turn it into a more adult-friendly space. No matter what you decide, you’ll need help with decluttering and junk removal, which is our specialty!
Declutter Your Empty Nest
We know that a lot of your possessions and clutter hold precious memories. Still, having an empty nest doesn’t need to be an overwhelming and challenging time. In fact, it can be a lot of fun! So, if you’re starting the process of clearing out your basement, garage, or attic, then give ABC Junk Removal & Hauling a call at (317) 430-7813. We proudly serve residents throughout Central Indiana, and we’re ready to serve you!